Monday 2 September 2013

A bad question

From the Homepaddock blog we learn,
Enough signatures have been gathered to force a politicians’ initiated referendum on asset sales.

The question we’ll be asked is:

“Do you support the Government selling up to 49% of Meridian Energy, Mighty River Power, Genesis Power, Solid Energy and Air New Zealand?”
This is a bad question since as written I would have to say no to it. As I have said before there are good reasons for thinking the partial sale plan isn't a good one. But just because I don't like the partial privatisation plan doesn't mean I support continued government ownership of these assets, which is, I'm sure, what will be claimed if you say no to the question.. The problem with the question is that we are not told the alternative. If we don’t sell 49% of the shares what do we do? let the government keep them, bad idea; sell 100% of the shares, much better idea.

So can we have a better question, please.

No comments: