Wednesday 21 January 2009

Shocked but not surprised

Tyler Cowen over at Marginal Revolution writes in a posting Blogging *The Origin of Species*,
That is a worthwhile endeavor and you will find the blog here. Nonetheless I was shocked (but not surprised) to read the following:
Evolutionary biologist John Whitfield is reading Origin for the first time and writing about it, chapter by chapter.
I would ask Tyler, if he is shocked but not surprised to learn that a biologist hasn't read Darwin, then how shocked, but not surprised, would he be to discover that few economists have read Adam Smith? Has Tyler? I will guess yes. Should he blog on "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" chapter by chapter?

I must confess I have only even read part of it myself. One day I will get round to reading the rest.

1 comment:

Craig Howard said...

As we bloggers are wont to say. Read the whole thing, please. That bit about "wealth-creation" seems to be lacking in much of the public discussion.